You come inside all hot and sweaty after doing yard work and crank up the air conditioning system a few notches to get it to kick on. You lean over a vent and feel a blast of – HOT air? That’s the last thing you want to feel on a hot summer’s day in Central Indiana.
Before you run to the phone to call the trusted heating and cooling technicians at Star Heating & Cooling and schedule an emergency appointment, there are a few simple steps that you can take that might stop your air conditioner from blowing hot air.
Star Heating & Cooling has served businesses and homeowners in Fishers, Indiana, and across Central Indiana since 2005. We provide an educational approach to our service and up-front pricing so customers can make informed decisions. Contact the trusted HVAC pros at Star with all of your air conditioning needs.
Reasons Your Air Conditioner is Blowing Hot Air
If you’re not comfortable checking your air conditioning system on your own, give Star Heating & Cooling a call today. A little DIY troubleshooting, however, can oftentimes fix an AC that is ruining your summer day by blowing hot or warm air. Here are few things to check before you call a HVAC technician for air conditioning repair:
- Check your thermostat to see if it somehow got switched to heat mode. It might sound silly, but it’s worth double checking the thermostat before you have a technician come to your home for a service call, right?
- Shut down the air conditioner system and remove your HVAC air filter. If the filter has a heavy accumulation of dust and dirt, the restricted air flow can cause dirt to accumulate on the evaporator coil, causing the outside unit to stop working properly. Replace the dirty air filter if needed.
- Do you see ice on your condenser coil? If the answer is “yes,” make sure the system is turned off, and call for an appointment. Ice on the condenser coil likely indicates a low level of refrigerant in the system, which could be caused by a refrigerant leak. When the refrigerant level drops, the refrigerant pressure inside the evaporator coil also drops, causing ice to form.
- Go outdoors and take a look at the air conditioner (condenser unit). Are there landscape plants within a foot of the condenser that are restricting airflow? Trim the vegetation back to let your air conditioner unit breathe. Do you see dirt, cottonwood seeds, weeds or other debris that might be clogging the condenser? If so, shut down the air conditioner, and hose the condenser down thoroughly to remove everything that is stuck on the unit. If the debris is really caked on and can’t be rinsed off using just the spray from a garden hose, there are special foaming coil cleaners you can purchase.
- Another possible culprit are leaking air ducts, which can cause your cooling system to ineffectively transfer cool air. A professional HVAC technician can inspect the ductwork for leaks.
Star Heating & Cooling Emergency AC Repair
If none of these tips do the trick and stop your AC from blowing warm air, or you notice a loud humming or rattling noise when the system is on, it’s probably time to call in a professional to get to the root of the problem. We’ll get your AC unit fixed in no time!
For emergency service in Hamilton or Marion County in Indiana, you can call Star Heating & Cooling 24/7 at 317-753-0279. We’ll have you cooled off again in no time.
Contact Star for Air Conditioning Repairs
Whether you need an air conditioning tune up, repair or installation, our employees go above and beyond to deliver the best service in the HVAC industry. Our NATE-certified technicians deliver an experience and results customers have come to appreciate and depend on. Contact us for your next AC need, and find out why Star outshines the competition.