Just as your vehicle, lawnmower and other machinery need regular maintenance to run efficiently – your air conditioning unit does, too. To keep your home’s AC system running as efficiently as possible, schedule an annual tune up – preferably in the spring – to keep your unit in tip-top shape.
An inspection of your air conditioning system by one of the trusted technicians at Star Heating & Cooling will ensure it’s ready for the hot central Indiana summer ahead and won’t break down when temperatures soar above 90 degrees.
Benefits of an Air Conditioning Tune Up
The best time of year to tune up your air conditioner is right before turning the unit on for the first time in the spring. During the winter, AC systems take a beating, as they’re exposed to snow, ice, rain, dirt and debris that can cause damage and prevent the air conditioner from operating properly. This year, don’t cross your fingers and just hope the air conditioner will automatically turn on when you push the button on the thermometer – be proactive and schedule ahead.
A spring tune up will take care of necessary maintenance so it will run efficiently all year long. Some of the other benefits of an annual AC inspection, include:
Increased Life Expectancy
An air conditioner, on average, lasts about 12 to 15 years. But a regularly maintained unit can survive much longer – sometimes 20 years or more.
Decrease in Repairs
Air conditioning unit components are hard working and wear down over time, and an annual inspection can catch these issues early before they lead to an expensive repair. Some of these problems are more likely to appear later in the summer when the cooling system is being used more frequently and put under more stress, so catch them early with a spring tune up!
Protecting Your Warranty
Many manufacturers require annual maintenance to be performed on the unit by a qualified technician and will ask for proof. If this isn’t completed, your warranty could be void, and you’d be on the hook for any expensive repairs or break downs.
Annual AC maintenance ensures the system is operating at its peak performance. This means you’re getting enough conditioned air during the summer months, and the cool air is evenly distributed across your home.
Increased Energy Efficiency
A well-maintained AC unit allows the cooling system to run more efficiently. This decreases how hard the unit must work to cool your home, saving you money on your monthly energy bills.
What’s Included in an AC Tune Up
Here’s what our Star Heating & Cooling technicians perform during a spring air conditioner clean and check visit:
- Check the furnace air filter and change it, if necessary. A standard 1-inch filter is included at no charge; there is an additional cost if your unit uses a 4-inch filter (or you can provide your own). A clogged air filter is one of the most common causes for HVAC problems.
- Test the thermostat to see if it is functioning properly.
- Check the condition of the fan motor and blades for wear, damage or debris.
- Inspect and tighten all electrical connections.
- Monitor voltage and amperage on all motors.
- Inspect the condensate drain for any blockage and clean as necessary.
- Check for the proper refrigerant charge. If the refrigerant is low, we will search for the source of any leaks that might cause the low level.
- Complete inspection of capacitors, contacts and safety controls.
- The condenser (the outdoor unit) is checked for debris. If dirt, cottonwood or other debris is seen, the technician will hose it off thoroughly. A bad accumulation of dirt may require a special chemical cleaning.
- The fins on the condenser are also checked; if they are bent, deteriorating or damaged, it may limit the airflow into the condenser.
- Make recommendations about any repairs that might be needed.
You should tell your technician about any concerns you have about your HVAC equipment, such as unusual noises from the unit or uneven heating or cooling in the home.
Between visits, you should check the condition of your air filter every month, and keep weeds and other plants away from the outdoor unit for proper airflow.
Preventative Agreements for Heating and AC Tune Ups
If you’d like a reminder when it’s time for your twice-annual checkup, sign up for our preventive maintenance agreement. In addition to a reminder when it’s time to schedule furnace or air conditioner maintenance, you’ll also receive discounts if you ever need repairs or HVAC service.
Either way, contact us at 317-753-0279 for service in the Hamilton and Marion county areas in Indiana to help protect your HVAC system.
Schedule Your AC Tune Up Today
Whether you need your air conditioning unit replaced, repaired or tuned up, trust the professionals at Star Heating & Cooling for all of your air conditioning needs. Our NATE-certified technicians are friendly, reliable and get the job done right the first time! Give Star a call today to schedule your spring air conditioning tune up appointment.