Star Heating and Cooling
Carbon monoxide is, unfortunately, an odorless and colorless gas that can be very dangerous when inhaled. It can cause issues like anemia, heart disease, and even brain damage and death. Because of the dangers of inhaling carbon monoxide, and the fact that it can’t be detected by people, it’s critical that each and every home has carbon monoxide detectors installed. It is the only way to guarantee that homeowners can detect carbon monoxide before it’s too late.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas created when the combustion of fuels is not completed. Carbon monoxide is produced where combustion doesn’t take place and other gases or oils are present.
Its dangers lie in the fact that it cuts off the oxygen supply to various vital organs within the body. If the blood can’t reach the brain, oxygen won’t be able to either. The immediate danger it can have on your body depends on the amount of carbon monoxide being released and the amount of time that you’ve been inhaling it.
Carbon monoxide can come from a variety of sources, including:
In most cases, you’ll begin to experience signs of carbon monoxide exposure before it’s too late. Symptoms can range from a headache, to nausea, to weakness and dizziness. The true danger of these symptoms is their similarity to other issues.
For example, depending on the person, a headache might not seem unusual if they’re common occurrences. Instead of relying on your body to tell you when you’re experiencing carbon monoxide exposure, rely on the installation of a carbon monoxide detector.
The best way to ensure that carbon monoxide exposure is completely prevented is to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. A CO detector from Carrier, for example, scans the air every 15 seconds to make sure that you’re protected at all times.
Most carbon monoxide detectors come with an easy-to-read digital display and a loud 85-decibel alarm that will alert your family immediately if the carbon monoxide levels in your home become dangerous. A permanent and rechargeable backup battery-powered detector will ensure that your Central Indiana home is still monitored in the event of a power outage. If your detector has replaceable batteries, change them every six months.
In order to be completely protected from the dangers presented by CO, it’s important that all areas of your home are near a CO detector.
As a rule, you should have carbon monoxide detectors installed on each level of your home and outside of all sleeping areas. This ensures that every level of your home and every bedroom will be monitored in case a carbon monoxide leak occurs.
Carbon monoxide detectors are among the most important pieces of equipment in our homes. They protect us from an invisible gas that has the potential to cause long-term damage, and even death. If your Fishers or Indianapolis area home doesn’t have proper carbon monoxide detection, or you’ve noticed a problem with any of your current detectors, get in touch with Star as soon as possible to make sure your family is completely protected. Our technicians also install smoke detectors to keep your family safe in the event of a fire.
Star Heating & Cooling has outstanding service and helped restore A/C to our home when we discovered the system stopped working properly. Jeff Rich was our technician and he came in, found the issue within the first 15 minutes, and provided some other great recommendations to assist with making our home more HVAC efficient. Will definitely utilize their Star’s service again for all of our HVAC needs!
– Jordan K.