Indiana temperatures vary between either extreme depending on the season, so homeowners are always on the lookout for the best way to keep their indoor spaces comfortable year-round. Central heating and cooling systems are the traditional solution, but ductless mini split HVAC systems are gaining popularity for their energy efficiency, versatility, and convenience.
In this blog from Star Heating & Cooling, we will introduce the components of a ductless mini split HVAC system, explain how ductless mini splits work, and outline the benefits of using this system in your home.
What Are Ductless Mini Splits?
Ductless mini split HVAC systems are heating and cooling systems that do not require ductwork to distribute air throughout the home. These systems are composed of two main parts: an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units. The outdoor unit contains the compressor, which pumps refrigerant to the indoor unit or units. The indoor unit contains the evaporator which facilitates heat exchange between the refrigerant and indoor air, as well as a blower that pushes conditioned air out into the living area.
How Do Ductless Mini Splits Work?
When you use a ductless mini split HVAC system, the indoor units detect the indoor temperature within the rooms they serve and send signals to the outdoor unit to start functioning. The ductless mini split system’s cooling process begins by pulling warm air from your home through the indoor unit. This warm air contains heat energy, which is absorbed by the refrigerant flowing through the indoor unit’s evaporator coil. The refrigerant then carries the heat energy through the conduit to the outdoor unit’s compressor, which compresses the refrigerant gas, raising its temperature.
As a result, the refrigerant releases this heat outside your home through the outdoor unit’s condenser coil, allowing the refrigerant to cool and condense back into a liquid state. This process of absorbing heat from indoor air and releasing it outside continues, maintaining a constant flow of fresh and cool air throughout your home.
When the system is in heating mode, the cycle essentially runs in reverse. The outdoor unit collects heat from the surrounding air and brings it inside through a refrigerant line. The indoor unit releases the heat energy to warm air and distributes it throughout the room using a fan.
Benefits of Ductless Mini Split HVAC Systems
- Energy Efficiency: Ductless mini split HVAC systems are highly energy efficient. They do not lose energy through leaks in ducts and only heat or cool the rooms you are using, which saves energy and reduces electricity bills.
- Versatility: Ductless mini split systems can be used in a variety of applications, such as new additions to your home, apartments, or even homes without ductwork. The indoor units can be installed in various configurations, such as wall-mounted or ceiling-mounted, providing more design options to homeowners.
- Convenience: Ductless mini split HVAC systems operate quietly and with remote control. This makes it easy to turn on and off the system, change the desired temperature, or adjust the flow of air without leaving your chair.
- Better Indoor Air Quality: Ductless mini splits do not use ductwork to distribute air, which eliminates spreading contaminants from ductwork throughout the home and HVAC system
- Easy Installation and Flexibility: Ductless mini split systems are easy to install and very versatile, making them a suitable option for homes where adding ductwork may seem difficult.
- Multi-Zone Capability: If you want more control over the temperature throughout different parts of your home, ductless mini split systems are preferred over central heating and cooling systems since they offer multi-zone capabilities.
Ductless Mini Split Installation in Indianapolis, IN
Ductless mini split HVAC systems are an efficient, versatile, and convenient option for homeowners who want to heat and cool their homes without relying on traditional ductwork. With the outdoor and indoor components, homeowners can save costs by having the option to heat or cool only the rooms in their homes that they use the most – they can also operate on a quiet mode and be controlled with remote control.
If you want to learn more about ductless mini split systems and get a quote for installation in your Fishers, IN area home, contact Star Heating & Cooling today!